Have you declared your Child Benefit?


Back in October, the government announced that any individual earning £50,000 or more and claiming Child Benefit payments would have to declare these payments by registering for Self-Assessment and filing a tax return.

We covered this in our 4th October blog.

You will be responsible for declaring Child Benefit if either of the following applies:

  • Your own individual income is more than £50,000
  • You have a partner whose income is more than £50,000 but your income is higher than theirs

If your partner’s income is more than £50,000 and your income is less than theirs, they will be responsible for declaring the Child Benefit you receive.

You will need to declare the Child Benefit by filling in a Self-Assessment tax return. If you haven’t completed a tax return before, for example you’re employed and pay your tax through a tax code; you will need to register for one.

If you already fill in a Self-Assessment tax return, then you will need to declare the Child Benefit you received from 7th January 2013 – 5 April 2013. Please note all Tax Returns must be filed on or before 31 January 2014.

The HMRC website has more information on how to register for a Self-Assessment as well as an introduction to Self-Assessment.

But if you need any assistance with completing your Self-Assessment tax return or registering with HMRC then please contact one of our Tax Team or call 0161 249 5040.